This week on Rie Talk I want to share with you tips that can help avoid/ stop procrastinating. Most of us have been there, delaying the task that we know needs to be done, leaving it till last-minute, rushing to complete this same task in the end, feeling guilty and awful about our actions promising never ever again, only to get back into the same circle all over again.
Procrastination tends to creep in gradually step by step and before you know it, the time you thought you had to do the task at hand is gone and you are left blaming yourself for it. Here are some tips that have worked for me over the years and I hope can help you in one way or another.
- Make a to do list.
- Give yourself the satisfaction of ticking each off after completion.
- Particular task that might be demanding or challenging try to break it into smaller parts you might find it easier to tackle in smaller pieces.
- Change of environment may do you a lot of good. I find I get more work done when am sat at a desk compared to sitting on my bed.
- Identify any distraction stopping you from getting the task done and try to stay clear of it until task has been completed. It could be you are spending too much time on social media, that one more episode of your favourite series on Netflix or that one more hour in bed.
- Tell people about your set task. This could be family/friends or followers on social media. Once you get the words out you know they will keep asking you about it and whether it’s been done so you will be forced to complete the task to avoid any awkward explanation.
- Just do it. After all this process and plans you have gone through, in the end you have to start to be able to finish and the task won’t do itself if you don’t do it. While it might be easier said than done, you need to start on it to give yourself a good chance of getting it done.
- Rewards are sweet especially after completely a set task. Go ahead and reward yourself you deserve it. Like i intend to enjoy a bowl of ice cream and pizza after completing this post.
Do you have any tips that help you stop procrastinating as well? Let me know in the comments below.